I’m so delighted to team up with Stacy & Matt from Paleo Parents and Kendra from Our Paleo Life for a delicious, All-American, game day menu! A virtual pot-luck, if you will! Today, we’ve got our own easy Apple Pie Bars, with Stacy & Matt bringing their delicious Pumpkin-Chocolate Chili (nightshade free!!!) and Kendra with her famous Cornbread Without Corn w/ 3 Flavor Variations. Nightshade-free chili and corn-less cornbread – a whole lineup of yummy contradictions that all your guests, paleo or not, are guaranteed to enjoy.
Take a twist on a classic and try this grain-free, modernized rendition of Not Yo Mama’s Apple Pie! aka Paleo Apple Pie Bars! Old-fashioned, flaky, lard-based pie crust, sweet & gooey, tart apple filling, with a crumbly, cinnamon-streusel topping. Americana in a bite-sized bar.
Now, let me start off by saying, these apple pie bars are TO DIE FOR. I know my opinion is biased, but, JUST TRUST ME AND THE PHOTOS, OKAY. I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know Stacy & Matt along with other local paleo bloggers and recently decided to bring these bad boys to a gathering at their home. Since Stacy & Matt have 3 little dudes/miniature taste-testers always ready & willing to try paleo treats, I try to make sure whatever I bring is delicious, kid-approved food. Needless to say, Matt was the one who stole my heart with his review of my apple pie bars… He said they tasted like McDonald’s apple pies. WHICH THEY TOTALLY DO! (and if you take that as any less than a compliment, you’re crazy!) Any paleo treat that can be compared to it’s deliciously unhealthy counterpart is a WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER in my book.
- 1-1/2 cup almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 3 tbsp lard, chiled
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp water
- ½ tsp sweetener of choice
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 cups diced apples, peeled and cored (about 3-4 apples)
- ⅓ cup tapioca flour
- 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of allspice
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- zest + juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup water
- scant ½ cup sweetener of choice - honey, maple syrup, coconut or maple sugar
- heaping ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup maple sugar (coconut sugar works too, but, is deeper in color & richer in flavor. I prefer the color & taste of maple sugar.)
- 3 tbsp butter, lard, or coconut oil, chilled
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pulse all pie crust ingredients in food processor until dough ball forms. Press into a parchment lined 8x8 dish. Grease parchment & set aside.
- Add all streusel ingredients to food processor and pulse until crumbly. Set aside.
- Toss apples in dry filling ingredients - tapioca, spices & salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk wet filling ingredients together - vanilla, lemon zest + juice, water & sweetener. Pour over apples and toss until well combined.
- Place apple mixture in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Cook for 5-8 minutes until thickened and caramelized.
- Pour onto crust and evenly spread streusel topping over top.
- Bake for 30-35 mins until edges are bubbling and streusel is golden brown.
Stacy & Matt from Paleo Parents made a nightshade-free pumpkin-chocolate chili that I can NOT wait to try. I’ve recently been playing with nightshade-free dishes and I can promise you will not miss the tomatoes, chili powder, etc. This festive chili is already on my list of dishes-to-make and I’m now envisioning a Ravens-game-day feast fit for the paleo gods. Woop woop!
So first of all, this chili is nightshade-free. The are no peppers of any kind and thus don’t expect it to be spicy, it’s not intended to be spicy. However, despite the pumpkin and chocolate, it’s not sweet either. It’s a perfect savory bite, warming from the inside with a rich spice blend, that we know you’ll love.
Kendra from Our Paleo Life really knocked it out of the park with this recipe. It was one of the first paleo dishes I brought to my parents house for dinner and no one could tell it was 100% grain-free! Corn-free cornbread (now with 3 flavor variations!) – whodathunkit! This + chili are a serious match made in heaven!
Enjoy “cornbread” without any grains! Whether you are eating this plain with heaps of honey and ghee spread on top, mixing in some crunchy bacon bits and spicy jalapenos, or adding fresh blueberries, this is a bread recipe that will go with nearly every meal of the day. A perfect scratch for that bread-loving itch.