So, this review is looong overdue. I hesitate to even call it a “review” because I feel unworthy of using such a title. A book review seems like something only a big-time blogger should be doing… You know, someone whose words & opinions readers actually care about. So, instead of calling it a review, (and since the book came out several months ago) I figured I’d share with you a S N E A K P E E K into one of the greatest paleo cookbooks on the market: Real Life Paleo: 175 Gluten-Free Recipes, Meal Ideas, and an Easy 3-Phased Approach to Lose Weight & Gain Health. Real Life Paleo is the third & final installment of paleo cookbooks by Stacy Toth & Matt McCarry – aka the Paleo Parents. Their first two books (also bestsellers) are Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe & Guidebook for Gluten-free Kids and Beyond Bacon: Paleo Recipes that Respect the Whole Hog. I mean, yeah, I AM good friends with Stacy & Matt but, that doesn’t make me (too) biased.
Real Life Paleo boasts a first of it’s kind, 3-phase, “Swap, Remove, Heal” approach to transitioning into a paleo lifestyle, making it perfect for people new to the paleo diet AND paleo veterans, alike. Hell, even if you’re NOT paleo, gluten-free, or grain-free! If you’re simply trying to clean up your diet or eat a bit healthier this year, this cookbook is still for you.
Matt & Stacy have three children under the age of 10 and I can safely say that ALL recipes in Real Life Paleo are easy, delicious, and, most importantly, child-approved. There’s several recipes for people following the autoimmune protocol along with a food allergen index + recipe-identifying key that tags the dish as egg-free, nut-free, nightshade-free, etc. – and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. There’s also a variety of information-packed tear-out pages, including: weekly meal plans, special occasion/ethnic-themed meal plans, paleo-approved (and not-approved) food guide, paleo pantry staples, grocery lists, store-specific shopping guides (i.e. Costco, Trader Joe’s, etc.), family fun guide, going-out guide, and a food swap guide that provides healthy swap-out options to replace your more unhealthy favorite foods.
Did I get everything?!? There’s just SO much information, I’m fairly positive it wouldn’t be much of a stretch to dub ‘Real Life Paleo’ as THE paleo bible/encyclopedia.
Now, onto the cookies… because BREAKFAST COOKIES. These Blueberry Breakfast Cookies are made with a sunflower seed, cashew, & walnut base and taste absolutely DELICIOUS! You get a dose of healthy fats from the nuts & seeds and a punch of antioxidant power from the blueberries – PLUS, they’re naturally sweetened. What more could you want in a breakfast cookie?! I don’t think these delicious little gems should be relegated to just breakfast duty, either. You can make these SUPER easy cookies for breakfast, a snack, or even dessert. Adults & children will both love them and I can safely say this recipe is officially in my repertoire.
SO. MUCH. NOMS!!!!!! Now, backs the fux up, scones, cause these light, fluffy, soft, blueberry breakfast cookies are here to STAY!
P.S. If you made it down this far, CONGRATULATIONS. If you’d like a chance to snag your VERY OWN COPY of Real Life Paleo, you’re in luck, ’cause it’s FLASH GIVEAWAY TIME!!!
Go to our Instagram to get the rules!
- Coconut oil, for greasing the baking sheet (if not using parchment paper)
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds (I used raw sprouted sunflower seeds as that’s all I had)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 1/3 cup lard, unsalted butter, or palm shortening
- 1/4 cup unrefined granulated palm, date, or maple sugar (I used [url href=”https://www.ilovedatelady.com/organic-date-sugar/” target=”_blank” title=”The Date Lady date sugar! Yum!”]The Date Lady date sugar[/url])
- 1 large egg
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice (juice of 1/2 a lemon)
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
- 1 cup blueberries (I used fresh-frozen ones)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment OR grease it with coconut oil.
- In a food processor or high speed blender, pulse the sunflower seeds, cashews, and walnuts to a fine flour-like consistency. Do not over blend, or a nut butter will form.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the lard, sugar, egg, lemon zest, and lemon juice until thoroughly combined.
- Stir the nut & seed flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, and salt into the wet ingredients until just combined.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Drop large balls of the dough (about 2 tbsp each) onto the prepared baking sheet, 1-1/2 inches apart. Do not flatten; they will spread quite a bit.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown on top. (I baked mine for 15-17 mins since I used large frozen berries)
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes, and then transfer them to a cooling rack to allow them to set up. ENJOY! [url href=”http://meritandfork.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RLPCookies2.jpg”][img src=”http://meritandfork.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/RLPCookies2.jpg” width=”1200″ height=”800″ class=”aligncenter size-full” title=”Paleo Blueberry Breakfast Cookies from Real Life Paleo by Paleo Parents”][/url]