ATTENTION: ALL SWEET TOOTHERS! I have officially paleo-ified one ridiculously amazing childhood treat – SAMOAS! What the what!?! You heard me, woman! (or man!) Girl Scout cookies are back in yo’ life and here to stay.
Juuuuust in case, here’s step-by-step photo instructions:
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 3/4 cup coconut flour (if using any brand other than Honeyville, use a slightly scant 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup raw honey OR maple syrup (I use both)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup (heaping!) coconut cream, scooped from the top of 1 chilled can of full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup sweetener of choice (honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar, maple sugar - or any combination of them)
- 2 tsp tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 5 oz. chocolate of choice OR 1 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place shredded coconut on parchment lined baking sheet in the oven for 5 mins, stirring frequently until lightly toasted. (Be careful! Shredded coconut browns VERY quickly!) Pour into a bowl, and set aside both the coconut and the lined baking sheet. TURN OVEN DOWN TO 300.
- Mix dry cookie ingredients in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix wet ingredients - sweetener, coconut oil & vanilla - until combined. Whisk into dry ingredients to form cookie dough.
- Use an even tablespoon to roll out uniform dough balls. Flatten balls between palms, then, place flattened dough-rounds onto parchment lined baking sheet. Use fingers to finish forming & shaping cookies, then, use an apple corer (or your finger) to punch a hole in the center of your cookie. Poke holes in the cookies with toothpicks to prevent them from rising.
- Bake cookies at 300 for 20 mins until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- While baking cookies, make caramel. Whisk coconut cream & tapioca flour together in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add sweetener, vanilla, and salt and bring to a boil, whisking frequently.
- Reduce heat to med low and continue to let simmer/bubble, still whisking, until thickened and caramelized.
- After about 15 mins, once caramel is thick & darkened in color, mix in toasted coconut flakes and set aside to cool.
- Melt chocolate over double boiler or in a stainless steel bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Dip bottom of cooled cookies into melted chocolate and place onto parchment lined tray. When all cookies have been dipped, chill the entire tray in the freezer for 3-5 mins. Keep the melted chocolate warm & on standby while you finish up the cookies.
- Use a teaspoon to evenly distribute caramel onto cookies - 1 heaping/rounded teaspoon of coconut-caramel per cookie.
- Place caramel covered cookies onto a wire rack on top of a sheet tray. Pour remaining melted chocolate into a ziploc bag with the tip of a corner cut off OR a piping bag. Drizzle chocolate over cookies and quickly chill again to harden chocolate.
- Store between parchment/wax paper in refrigerator OR freezer. (They'll stay good for several months in the freezer!) Bring to room temp/thaw 5-10 mins before serving.