This was the first paleo cheesecake I’ve ever made and it was a 100% SUCCESS.
Depending on what kind of dairy/non-dairy “cream cheese” you use, this may or may not be 100% paleo, but, hey – to each his own. (aka get outta here paleo police!!)
I can tolerate small amounts of cheese, so, I don’t mind using goat or regular cream cheese here. At the very least, it’s refined-sugar & grain-free – and I’ll take whatever healthy shortcuts I can get!
If you enjoy cheesecake, I can guarantee you’re going to enjoy this bad boy. The maple sugar really takes it to another level and the cranberry glaze is a pleasant change from your standard raspberry, strawberry, and cherry cheesecake toppings.
If you’re intimidated by making your own cheesecake or think it’s just too time consuming, I promise it’s surprisingly easy and SO WORTH IT!
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 tbsp maple sugar
- 1 tbsp butter/coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of allspice & ground cloves
- 4 eggs, separated, room temp
- 2-1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- ¾ cup + 2 tbsp maple sugar, powdered, pulverized with mortar & pestle OR blender
- 3 - 8oz. packs dairy/non-dairy cream cheese of choice, softened
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup fresh/frozen cranberries
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- zest + juice of 1 orange
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 325 & liberally grease a springform pan. Line the bottom with a round of parchment paper.
- Pulse all crust ingredients in food processor until crumbly - about 30-40 pulses.
- Whisk/beat egg yolks with hand mixer or electric whisk for 45 seconds, then, add cream cheese, lemon juice, vanilla, sugar, salt & nutmeg and whisk until combined. Once smooth, add tapioca flour and whisk again until combined/smooth. Set aside.
- In a standing mixer with clean stainless steel bowl attached, connect wire whisk attachment and whisk egg whites on high speed for exactly 1 min 30 seconds until soft peaks form. Fold frothy whites into cream cheese filling mixture until well combined.
- Pour filling into crust and place into a baking pan large enough to fill with water. (I used a glass 8x8.) Fill water at least ½ to ¾ of the way up the sides of the springform pan.
- Bake for 60 mins until lightly browned on top and center is set/firm. Make cranberry glaze while baking.
- Bring all glaze ingredients to a boil in a small covered saucepan over med high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce to med low and simmer uncovered until thick, stirring frequently & smashing softened cranberries.
- After 10-15 mins, once thick sauce has formed, remove from heat and pour into a glass container to cool at room temp. Refrigerate when cool.
- After 1 hour, remove cheesecake to cool on a wire rack and refrigerate overnight before serving with a dollop of cranberry glaze.