Adapted from McCormick's Classic Egg Nog Recipe
- 4 cups non-dairy milk of choice (I used canned coconut milk)
- 6 egg yolks
- up to ¾ cup sweetener of choice (I used maple syrup & honey)
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste (not paleo - feel free to use vanilla extract, real vanilla bean, or vanilla bean powder)
- 1-1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- tiny pinch of sea salt
- Bring milk, cloves, cinnamon sticks, vanilla, nutmeg, and salt just to boil in medium saucepan on low heat.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl until pale yellow in color and fluffy. Gradually add 1 cup of the hot milk mixture, mixing with wire whisk until well blended.
- Gradually whisk mixture back into the remaining milk mixture in the saucepan. Cook and stir on medium-low heat 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Strain into large bowl. Cool slightly. Cover. (I don't strain it. I'm lazy. Whatever. Still good.)
- Refrigerate overnight or until well chilled.