Paleochocolatechipmaplepancake in a mug! You read that right! (Or did you?) I never predicted mug cakes would become as big a part of my life as they are now. I’ve been eating them on the regs since coming up with this recipe. Even my boyfriend has been eating them! What?! Man-Boy willingly consuming paleo desserts?! Who’da thunkit.
I had never even had a mug cake before going paleo in 2011. The first one I had was your standard fudgy chocolate lava cake. Clearly delicious, as you really can’t go wrong there, but, seriously? WOMP. COULD BE SO MUCH BETTER. Chocolate Lava Cake is like sooo Carnival-Cruise-dessert circa 2001. (Just kidding. Carnival still serves this as their most famous dessert and while it’s not healthy in the slightest, it’s frigging delicious. It’s Man-Boy’s favorite.)
I decided this was going to be a Chocolate Chip Cookie Mug Cake. Except, what I thought would taste like cookie-in-a-cup, ended up tasting like pancake-in-a-cup… and since “pancake in a cup” is not sounding as appetizing as I’d like it to, right now, we’ll have to jazz it up with some adjectives. Think about hot-off-the-griddle mini chocolate chip pancakes drizzled with maple syrup & a dollop of sweet creamy Omghee. Now, imagine those cute little pancakes stacked inside a coffee mug, topped with more ooey gooey melted mini chocolate chips. Y.U.M.
Now that you’re sufficiently soaked with your own drool (or not – pancake haters still welcome), it’s time to let you know that, YES, you do have all the ingredients for this deliciously easy mug cake. All it takes is some ghee, a flick of the wrist & 45 seconds in the microwave, and you’re in chocolate chip pancake mug cake heaven. Oh yeah, and, did I mention it was paleo?
- 1 tbsp [url href=”http://www.omghee.com/shop/9oz/ghee-9oz/” target=”_blank” title=”Finally tried Omghee at Paleof(x)… SO GOOD!”]ghee[/url]
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2-1/2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips of choice (slightly scant if using minis – I used [url href=”Enjoy Life Semi Sweet Chocolate Mini Chips – 10 oz – 2 pk” target=”_blank” title=”2pk of Enjoy Life dairy, nut & soy-free mini chocolate chips”]Enjoy Life semisweet mini chips[/url] – aka dairy, nut & soy-free chocolate chips.
- Place ghee, maple syrup, and vanilla in a coffee mug and microwave for 30 seconds.
- Use a fork to whisk in egg. Whisk in almond flour and salt, then, quickly fold in chocolate chips. (You don’t want them to melt. They will sink to the bottom – that’s fine.)
- Cook in microwave for another 45 seconds. Top with a few more chocolate chips, if desired, and let cool for 1 minute before enjoying.