I don’t know about you, but, there’s not many ways I can enjoy cranberry sauce. It’s usually JELLIED OR BUST: in the form of a jiggly gelatinous cylinder with the ridges of the BPA-laden can still imprinted on the outside.
Ahhhh, the good ole days of Ocean Spray canned cranberry jelly-sauce.
Unfortunately, those days are long gone, and every year since 2011, I’ve tried a different homemade cranberry sauce recipe at Thanksgiving. And every year I’m slightly disappointed in how UN-Ocean Spray it is.
This year, I was pleasantly surprised with how delicious this quick and simple cranberry sauce was. It’s tart and sweet and eerily reminiscent of the flavors in my beloved canned-jellied-goodness.
It’s truly the first homemade cranberry sauce I can say I actually enjoy. Now… ENJOY!
- 1 lb. (16oz.) bag frozen cranberries
- zest of 1 orange
- ¼ cup freshly squeeze orange juice
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- ½ cup honey OR maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper (yes, a crack of black pepper in your cranberry sauce. I promise it's good.)
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium saucepan over med high heat for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins, reduce to med low and simmer another 10 mins.
- Reduce to low and simmer another 5 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat & serve room temp or warm. Enjoy! (You can make this several days ahead and freeze or refrigerate until ready)