Let’s start by saying I love all things banana! Banana is my jam. My shiz. And this delicious, super moist (anyone else hate the word “moist”? *cringe*) banana bread is no exception. At one point, trying to make the “perfect” paleo banana bread had become the bane of my existence. I tested so many frickin’ banana bread recipe combinations, I couldn’t count them on my fingers and toes.
Alas, NEVERMORE! I can honestly say I’ll never use another banana bread recipe – paleo or not – because this one is THAT perfect. For reals. My goal is to always make things taste how I think they should and this quick-bread tastes exactly like the banana bread you remember eating as a kid. (For this reason, it’s a bit more on the sweet side – feel free to lessen the amount if desired.) I almost feel like I cheated & took the easy way out with this recipe by using the incredibly versatile Otto’s Naturals Cassava Flour. Cassava flour is pretty much exactly like working with white/wheat flour and subs 1:1 for it in most recipes. Shocking, yet, awesome – I know.
In my typical gluttonous-whale fashion, I like to slather like 9 tablespoons (hardly an exaggeration) of salted grass-fed butter on a warm slice of this banana bread. Any excuse to eat butter, right? I’m always on the lookout for a new paleo vehicle for butter… vehicle into my mouth, that is. Also, I prefer to BEDAZZLE my ‘nanner breads. Feel free to top yo’ loaf with chocolate chips, banana slices, or chopped walnuts/pecans before baking. Heck, plain is just as perfect, too! Do yo’ thang, honey! The world is your
oyster loaf pan.
- 4 overripe bananas, mashed (My idea of "overripe" is an almost-black banana, ha)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup ghee, melted (I use butter)
- 1 cup coconut sugar (This is a standard dessert-like bread - feel free to use less)
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 150 grams Otto's Naturals cassava flour (about 1 cup + 3 tbsp - I highly recommend using a kitchen scale for best results)
- 1-1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Pinch cloves and/or allspice
- optional toppings/garnish: fresh banana slices, handful of chocolate chips OR chopped pecans/walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit & line a 4x8 inch loaf pan with lightly greased parchment paper.
- Mash bananas in a large mixing bowl. Whisk ghee/butter & coconut sugar together and pour into banana mixture.
- Add eggs & vanilla and whisk until combined.
- In separate bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients. Slowly whisk into wet ingredients.
- Pour & smooth batter into a lightly-greased-parchment lined loaf pan and garnish with [optional] desired toppings. (sliced bananas, chocolate chips, chopped nuts)
- Bake at 350 for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean and middle of bread feels springy. (I start checking after 50 mins and bake for another 5-10 mins, depending on how my old, whacky, temperature-fluctuating oven is feeling that day.)
- **I use a 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 "medium" loaf pan. It produces a slightly smaller & taller loaf and I LOVE it!