ONE SKILLET MEAL FO’ MY HOMESKILLET READAHHHS!!! (That’s you. You are my homeskillet reader.) This meal projected itself onto my grey matter on a Sunday night. It was definitely a “just wingin’ it” recipe. Anyone who watches Game of Thrones has their own Sunday night dinner ritual. Whether it’s ordering in, eating earlier than usual, or, in our case, making something extremely easy to cook & clean up. All I know is I better have dinner ready & cleaned up by 9:00. Even though we record GoT, we don’t have enough patience to NOT start watching it as soon as it comes on… So, recording it ends up being pointless, but, WHATEVER!
Game of Thrones is so sickeningly amazing, we’re always on the verge of crying with frustration, sadness, and shock… oh, and lots of anger… ’cause God knows they’re always killing off your favorite fricking characters. It’s SOOOO good. Now, when I think of this recipe, I think of GoT – and I ain’t complainin’! I had some asparagus-on-it’s-way-to-LimpBizkitTown, a few chicken thighs, and some sage in the fridge, just begging to be cooked. Perrrfect! Into the skillet I layered the onion, asparagus, and chicken, drizzled it with some honey, sprinkled some chopped sage on top and baked it all together for less than 30 minutes. This may have been one of the simplest meals I’ve ever made and it was surprisingly delicious! Sweet & savory and perfectly cooked. You really can’t go wrong when you keep it this simple. Pure, 5 ingredients or less… Dishes like this remind me of Italy. THESE are the recipes that make my soul happy. I can only hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
- 1 tbsp oil (I use half ghee, half olive oil)
- 4 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 1 heaping tbsp freshly chopped sage
- honey, to taste (preferably raw)
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 bunch of asparagus, trimmed
- 1 garlic clove, minced or grated
- sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Heat oil/ghee in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season BOTH sides of each chicken thigh with salt (I use ¼ to ½ tsp per thigh, depending on size) and ½ tsp chopped sage. [Reserve remaining teaspoon of chopped sage.]
- Cook the chicken, skin-side down, until brown and crisp, about 7 minutes. Flip and sear another 3 mins until brown. Transfer to a plate.
- Add onions & asparagus to skillet and gently toss to lightly coat with pan drippings/oil. Toss veggies with ⅛ to ¼ tsp salt (opt) and sprinkle minced garlic on top.
- Place the chicken, skin-side up, on top of the veggies and drizzle chicken skin with desired amount of honey. (I use about ½ to 1 tbsp per thigh, depending on size.)
- Sprinkle remaining chopped sage on top of honey (1/4 tsp per thigh) and place back in the oven until cooked through - 20 to 25 minutes.
- Top with freshly ground black pepper immediately upon removal from oven and serve with asparagus/onion mixture.