It’s almost Valentine’s Day a.k.a. caveman love muffin swap time! Stacy at Paleo Gone Sassy approached me with an awesome muffin swap idea for this looovely holiday.
So, I’ve got Paleo Blueberry Lemon Fig Muffins for you today – an even more fruity take on my Mini Apple Lavender Cakes. You get the tart, citrusy, juicy goodness from the blueberry and lemon juice + zest, and the sweet, chewy bite from the chopped dried figs. Did I mention they’re FRUIT-SWEETENED?! Date sugar is a Godsend! (#NEWSWEETENERALERT: I received some date sugar + date syrup from The Date Lady to try aaand I’m officially in love.)
The purpose of the swap was to connect with other paleo bloggers and exchange muffins, of course!
Though, I can’t disclose my 3 chosen bloggers/muffin-receivers, yet. We’re not supposed to connect with each other until we’ve all received our muffins, sooooo, stay tuned for this Friday’s Caveman Love Muffin Swap!
And I received these delicious muffins:
1. Chocolate Chunk Macadamia Nut Muffins from Kim at Nearly Natural Momma.
3. Strawberry Muffins from Sharon at Paleo Fondue.
They were all delicious, though, some muffins did arrive a little smashed and destroyed. Either way, this Caveman Love Muffin Swap was a huge S U C C E S S !!! I really hope we can do things like this more often, because 1. SNAILMAILFYEAH and 2. SNAILMAILCONTAININGFOODFYEAH!
Hope you guys enjoy these Paleo Blueberry Lemon Fig Muffins as much as we did!
[General consesus from my muffin-recipients – THEY LOVED THEM, TOO!]
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ to ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg (I LOVE fresh nutmeg - I use about a ½ tsp)
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup melted ghee
- 1½ tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp date sugar (OR 2 tbsp honey)
- Juice of ½ a lemon (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 cup packed fresh blueberries (or thawed frozen berries)
- 10-12 dried mission OR turkish figs, sliced & roughly chopped (about ¾ cup chopped figs)
- Preheat oven to 325 and line a muffin tin with paper liners. Very lightly spray the insides of the paper cups with oil/cooking spray or lightly grease with oil of choice.
- Whisk first 6 (dry) ingredients together in a large mixing bowl and create a well in the center.
- Whisk melted ghee into eggs, vanilla, sweetener, and lemon juice. Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients and whisk until batter forms.
- Fold chopped figs and blueberries into batter.
- Grease a ¼ cup measuring cup and use it to scoop even amounts of batter into baking tin.
- Bake muffins at 325 for 13 mins, then, increase heat to 350 and bake another 4-5 mins until lightly browned on top.
- Cool for at least 10 mins before attempting to serve - almond flour will firm as it cools.