Let’s give a round of applause for dairy-free steakhouse creamed spinach at home. *clap clap clap clap clap*
Ridiculously easy and ridiculously delicious. I went to the pick-your-own-produce farm and came home with a plethora of fruit and veggies.
With it being Fall, I, of course, had leafy greens galore – and who knew, picking your own produce makes it 1000x more fun to cook & eat!
I had SO much fun developing recipes with my farm-produce haul, that this creamed spinach was just bound to be amazing.
Why succumb to boring sautéed or raw spinach when you can do CREAMED?!
- 1 lb. (16oz.) fresh spinach
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup full fat canned coconut milk
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- ½ + ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1-1/2 tbsp olive oil (feel free to use ghee or butter)
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and prepare a large bowl of salted ice water.
- Blanch fresh spinach in boiling water for 1 minute, then, shock in ice water.
- Once cool, drain in a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth - and drain WELL - once you think you'ved squeezed all the water out, squeeze it another few times for good measure. Set aside.
- Heat oil/ghee/butter in a large skillet over med high heat. Add onion + ¼ tsp sea salt to hot oil and saute about 7 mins until translucent.
- Add spinach and garlic and saute another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add milk, ½ tsp sea salt & pepper to pan and bring to a boil. Boil until thickened, stirring frequently, for about 8 mins. Serve immediately.