It was only after I bought $10 walnut oil and brought it home that I realized I have no idea what to do with it. You will see lots of walnut oil salad dressings because, well… I have no idea what to do with it!! BUT… just because I am a ninny does not mean this salad is not delicious! Because it is! The walnut oil lends a roasty & toasty flavor while the juicy citrus segments, tart & sweet cranberries, crunchy toasted walnuts, and salty grated pecorino, all balance each other out perrrrfectly.
After making, tasting, and photographing this salad, I gave it to James’ granddad to take to his girlfriend’s house. They LOVED it! It’s always a treat when you can please the palate of the (extremely) old. (I mean, really, really old… James’ granddad’s girlfriend is like 92.) The flavors and textures mesh perfectly together and it makes me wonder why I don’t add more segmented citrus into my life!? This light & refreshing salad would be great for a dinner party, too. It’s yummy & unique and just fancy enough without being prissy. (Yes, salads can be prissy.) Now. Go get yo’ segment on!
- 2-3 handfuls spring mix
- 2 oranges, segmented
- ½ grapefruit, segmented
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped & toasted
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1-1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp walnut oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Freshly grated pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano
- Toss spring mix, segmented citrus, celery, walnuts, cranberries, lemon juice, olive oil, salt & pepper together until combined and coated in dressing.
- Top with freshly grated pecorino or parmigiano and serve!