2 ingredients!? Whaaaat!?! Now, I have to admit this was not my idea. I saw a coconut oil & melted chocolate frosting on Pinterest that was melted, chilled, then whipped and was determined to try it with butter. After a bit of trial and error, trying different coconut oil to butter ratios, this easy recipe was born, and even seasoned chocolate-dislikers (aka me – I like things on the fruity side of life, what can I say), can’t help but enjoy this for the simplicity factor alone! Luckily, the taste and texture are A+, too. I put this frosting on my paleo yellow cupcakes and tested them on my two chocoholic neighbors & two five-year-old neighbors. All four non-paleo neighbors approved, which is all I can ever hope for!
- 1 cup chocolate chips of choice (slightly heaping - not leveled. I like Enjoy Life brand.)
- 1 cup butter OR ghee
- 1 vanilla bean OR 1 tbsp vanilla extract (opt)
- ¼ tsp sea salt (opt)
- In a double-boiler over very low heat, melt chocolate & butter together. Stir in vanilla & salt, if using. (I use a stainless steel bowl over a small saucepan of simmering water)
- Place frosting in refrigerator for 30-ish minutes to thicken/harden.
- Remove from refrigerator and whip frosting with a hand blender until fluffy and frosting lightens up considerably in color.